What is Exclusive Breastfeeding?
It implies feeding of breast milk is enough for the baby up to 6 months of life and no other food is necessary during this time. When a baby is given only breast milk, not even drop of water up to 6 months of age, it is called an absolute or exclusive breast feeding. In another article, i have discussed about the key differences between human breast milk and cow milk.
|Fig: Breastfeeding by mother|
Duration of Exclusive Breastfeeding:
Importance of Breastfeeding:
- Breast milk contains colostrum which protects infants.
- Breast milk is cheap.
- Breast milk is freely available.
- Breast milk is sterile.
- Breast milk can be given at any time.
- Breast milk increases the mother and child bonding.
- Breast milk is free from pathogenic organism.
- Breast milk helps in involution of uterus.
- Infants who cannot take breast milk are put on cow’s milk, soya milk or thin milk.
Contraindications of Breastfeeding for Mother:
- Mother with a serious psychiatric disorder.
- Markedly inverted nipples, fissures and cracks of nipples may not allow mother to feed children for sometimes.
- Mothers suffering from acute fevers, tuberculosis, chronic nephritis, heart disease and breast abscess, septicemia, eclampsia, breast tumor, post-partum psychosis etc.
- Mother has cancer and is being treated with anticancer agents.
Contraindications of Breastfeeding for Child:
- If the infant has galactosemia since exposure to galactose (from lactose of human milk) will lead to serious mental retardation, cataracts and liver damage.
- If the infant has phenylketonuria, such infants need a diet low in phenylalanine. Breast milk contains phenylalanine in higher concentration.
- Gross per maturity of the baby or other condition in which the new born cannot suck.
More questions related to this article:
- What do you mean by exclusive breastfeeding?
- Define exclusive breastfeeding.
- What is the importance of breastfeeding?
- Why breastfeeding is so important for mother and child?
- What are the benefits of breastfeeding for mum?
- What are the benefits of breastfeeding for child development?
- How much time provided for exclusive breastfeeding?
- Mention the duration of exclusive breastfeeding?
- List the contra indications of breast feeding for mother.
- List the contra indications of breast feeding for child.