Fats are also known as lipids. Fat supplies main energy to the body. Fats are organic compounds which are composed of hydrogen, carbon and oxygen. Fats are insoluble in water and soluble in organic solvents like ether, benzene or chloroform. Smaller unit of fat is termed as fatty acids.
Fat is an organic substance which is composed of the elements like carbon, hydrogen, oxygen. They formed by the combination of glycerol and fatty acid.
|Fig: Good fats and bad fats list
What is Good Fats?
Monosaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the good fats, because they are good for our heart, cholesterol and our overall health.
Monosaturated Fats List:
- Olive oil,
- Canola oil,
- Sunflower oil,
- Peanut oil,
- Sesame oil,
- Nuts (Almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews),
- Peanut butter.
Polyunsaturated Fats List:
- Soybean oil,
- Corn oil,
- Safflower oil,
- Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds,
- Fatty fish (Salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines),
What is Bad Fats?
Saturated Fats List:
- Chicken with the skin,
- High fat cuts of meat (Beef, lamb, pork),
- Whole-fat dairy products (milk and cream),
- Ice cream,
- Palm and coconut oil.
Trans Fats List:
- Commercially-backed pastries, cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, pizza dough,
- Packaged snack foods (crackers, microwave popcorn, chips),
- Stick margarine,
- Vegetable shortening,
- Fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, breaded fish),
- Candy bars.
More questions related to this article:
- What do you mean by fats?
- What is the definition of fats?
- Write down the name of some good fats and bad fats?
- Which are good fats?
- Which are bad fats?
- Prepare a list of good fats for our health.
- Prepare a list of bad fats for our health.
- What is monosaturated fat?
- What is polyunsaturated fat?
- What is saturated fats?
- What is trans fats?
- Present some examples of bad fats.
- Present some examples of good fats.