What is Body Fat in Biology?
Fat usually means any ester of fatty acids, or a mixture of such compounds in nutrition, biology, and chemistry. It is most commonly those that occur in living beings or in food. There are some good fats and bad fats which we normally take in our daily life.
Some problem may arise due to the lack of fat deficiency are listed in the below:
- Dryness of the skin,
- Swelling of the foot and leg,
- Eczema of the children,
- Toad skin or phrenoderma,
- Coma e.g. Diabetic coma,
- Gall bladder, urinary bladder etc.
Harmful Effects of Excess Fat on Human Body:
Some problem can arise due to excess fat in the body. Those are-
Obesity occurred when fat rich diet is taken. In fatty people adipose tissue may increase up to 30%.
Guidelines for Choosing Healthy Fats:
If we are concerned about our weight or heart health rather than avoiding fat in our diet, try replacing trans fats and saturated fats with good fats. This might mean replacing fried chicken with fresh fish, swapping come of the meat we eat with beans and legumes or using olive oil rather than butter.
- Try to eliminate trans fats from your diet. Check food labels for trans fats. Avoiding commercially baked goods goes a long way. Also limit fast food.
- Limit our intake of saturated fats by cutting back on red meat and full fat dairy foods. Try replacing red meat with beans, nuts, poultry and fish whenever possible and switching from whole milk and other full fat dairy foods to lower fat versions.
- Eat omega-3 fats every day. Good sources include fish, walnuts, ground flax seeds, flaxseed oil, canola oil and soybean oil.
Daily Fat Requirements for Different Age:
Daily fat requirements for different aged people are presented in the following:
- For adult, it needs 20gm daily,
- For pregnant women, it needs 4.5 gm daily,
- For lactating mother, it needs 6gm daily,
- For young children, it needs 25gm daily,
- For infant, it needs 6gm daily.
More questions related to this article:
- What do you mean by fat in biology?
- Mention some effects of fat deficiency.
- List some adverse effects of lack of fat.
- What kinds of problems may arise due to lack of fat deficiency?
- What are the demerits of taking excess fat in the diet?
- Point out some demerits of fat on the body.
- What type of problems can arise due to excess fat intake?
- List the daily requirements of fat.
- Present the daily fat requirements in different aged people.
- Present the general guidelines for choosing healthy fats.